What are the roadblocks to success; part 2
I am on a journey of self discovery. I am glad you are coming with me.
One of the roadblocks to success is the fear of failure. This is a common fear of the procrastinator. There are many reasons I avoid a task and the first one I am looking at is the fear of failure.
I wonder what this fear is like and where does it come from?
Fear of failure is the main reason for the lack of courage to take on a task or start something. This fear is crippling. It is often overwhelming.
I know, if I am honest with myself, I have a lot of insecurities. I am afraid that, if I take on a job or position and fail, others will know I am a failure.
We all seem to have fears of some kind or another. We can deal with other fears in the same way as we deal with the fear of failure. Perhaps you are afraid of heights or snakes.
I have to ask myself. “What is the root of my fear?” I was not born with it, I have learnt it. If I have learnt it, then I must unlearn it.
The first step is to name the fear. I found that it is easier to figure things out when I write them down. I use a journal but scrap paper works too (then you can rip it up or burn it to hide the evidence).
On the top write: My Fear is__________
- list your fears: use a separate page for each fear. (heights, failure, spiders, public speaking, etc.) think hard, these are your private thoughts.
- think about when these fears take hold of you and write that next to each fear. ( for example: heights: in elevators, on a ladder. failure: at work when given a new task, starting a diet.)
- spend some time writing down some experiences you have had with this fear. Go into detail. Ask yourself : Were there any times when this fear gripped me and stopped me from doing something I wanted to do? ———or something I needed to do? ——did it stop me from enjoying myself? ———–Who was there? ———-What was going on? ———–How did I respond?
- try to go back in your mind to the time you first experienced the fear. What happened?——— Who was there? ———What did they say?———- What did they do? ———–How did you feel? ————What did you do?
I am going to go and make my list and ponder this for a day or so. Please come back and we will deal with this later (Is this procrastination?)
I will leave you with this quote: Success is a ladder that can not be climbed with your hands in your pocket. – Author Unknown
- What are the roadblocks to success? (maggielr.wordpress.com)
- Procrastinators Anonymous (nrhatch.wordpress.com)